Have you ever worried about taking a road trip with a loved one suffering from dementia? If so, this show is for you!
You don’t have to restrict outings with them just to doctor visits. Always staying in can be tough on you and even more so for those you’re caring for.
Trust me on this one!
This episode’s tips come from one of our listeners: Polly. She shares her stories about how she takes her husband, who’s suffering from Leukodystrophy (a rare form of dementia) on special road trips. Although he’s lost some basic functions, he still seems to understand what’s going on around him.
Listen in and learn what Polly’s been doing to help her husband, and herself, through both good and tough days. You’ll also hear my story about how my own dad and I used to take long day trips together and get lost together in the Florida swamps.
In the meantime, here are some items that may make things easier and safer while you enjoy your own trips:
- Auto Door Assist Handle Grips: These are easy to use on any car.
- Car Grab Handles (over door): A bit less stable but they are great for extra stability when you need someone to twist and turn before sitting.
- Lift Support Handle: Wow, these are great when your passenger has some strength in their grip and simply needs a little extra pull to get up.
- Transfer Support Sling: Simply slip this behind the back of your passenger and give a tug. Viola, they're standing! Make sure they place their hands on your shoulders for added support.
- Adjustable side walker (for those who are more mobile): This is a side walker vs. one that's positioned in front of a person. It gives just enough support for added stability and more than a walking cane. Here's a better video on how this item works.
Host: Nancy May, Author How to Survive 911 Medical Emergencies, Step-by-Step Before, During, After! is an acknowledged expert in managing the path of step-by-step caring for aging parents, even from over 1200 miles away. For a free, fillable File-of-Life go to www.howtosurvive911.com. Nancy is also the Co-Founder of CareManity LLC, and the private FaceBook group, Eldercare Success.
Disclaimer: The views, perspectives, and opinions expressed in this show are those of the show guests and not directly those of the companies they serve or that of the host or the producer CareManity, LLC. The information discussed should not be taken as medical, legal, or financial advice. Please seek the advice of your own personal medical, legal or financial advisors as each person’s situation is different. (c) Copyright 2022 CareManity, LLC all rights reserved.
CareManity is a trademark of CareManity, LLC.